Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    USAHITMAN Conspiracy News
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    USAHITMAN Conspiracy News
    Home»Interesting News»Mysterious object blocks Seattle tunnel drilling
    Interesting News

    Mysterious object blocks Seattle tunnel drilling

    By mediahitmanDecember 13, 2013Updated:December 14, 2013No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    130731_bertha_g_4The state Department of Transportation and contractors building a highway tunnel under downtown Seattle are trying to find out what has blocked their tunnel-boring machine.

    The machine called Bertha ran into something Friday and was shut down Saturday about 1,000 feet into the 1.7 mile project and 60 feet below South Jackson Street and South Main Street.

    The $80 million machine is designed to break up boulders, so what it hit is a mystery. It may be a huge boulder left by the last ice age. Others think it could be a buried rail car from pioneer days when the area was filled in.

    Engineers are considering drilling down to the object as one of the ways to break up or remove the obstruction.

    The 58-foot diameter tunnel is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2015, creating a four-lane route for Highway 99 traffic between South Lake Union and the area south of downtown near the Seahawks and Mariners stadiums.

    It will take until Friday at least for the Seattle Tunnel Partners contracting team to identify the object and decide how to proceed, Linea Laird, chief Transportation Department engineer, told The Seattle Times.

    After removing the obstruction, crews will probably have to inject concrete grout to fill resulting gaps. The machine requires soil resistance to stay on course.

    After a slow start over the summer, the machine was averaging 52 feet a day last week before running into the obstruction, said DOT spokeswoman KaDeena Yerkan.

    It was slowed Friday and by Saturday, the drilling effort “was stopped after unanticipated and increasing resistance was experienced, possibly due to an obstruction,” said Highway 99 project administrator Todd Trepanier.

    The $1.4 billion tunnel contract is part of the $3.1 billion project to replace the Alaskan Way Viaduct along the downtown Seattle waterfront.

    Source

    Blocks Drilling Mysterious Object Seattle Tunnel
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    mediahitman

    Related Posts

    Two hundred Americans to face quarantine in California

    January 30, 2020

    Sandy Hook conspiracy theorist arrested for spreading personal info of victim’s dad

    January 28, 2020

    FBI requested interview with Prince Andrew on Jeffrey Epstein case, but received ‘zero cooperation’

    January 28, 2020
    Leave A Reply

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.