IBN reports that the boy may be suffering from Spontaneous Human Combustion (SHC) that may be resulting from gases being excreted from his skin.
The website claims Rahul first caught fire at 9 days old in his village of Tindivanam in India.
Dr Thenmozhi, Assistant Professor in Paediatrics Department, Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital said this was the first time that he has come across such a case.
“It’s a very rare case, it can occur in any age group. It is the spontaneous explosion of burning material from the sweat. It’s a serious case. In the past cases, those who happened to be with the person who had this disorder have died,” he said. “Severe precautions need to be taken. In my experience, this is the first time I’ve seen such a case. And unfortunately, there is no special cure and it has to be treated like a regular burn injury.”
But the SHC story has some critics doubting its authenticity.
“SHC is a hoax theory. A baby catching fire spontaneously is not possible,” burns specialist at Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital, Dr J Jagan Mohan, told the Times of India. “Alcoholics have a very small percentage of alcohol secreted in their sweat but even that wouldn’t generate a fire.”
Doctors had recommended a series of sweat, urine and blood tests to check whether Rahul has inflammable substance in his samples.