Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    USAHITMAN Conspiracy News
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    USAHITMAN Conspiracy News
    Home»War News»Anonymous declares Internet war on Syria
    War News

    Anonymous declares Internet war on Syria

    By mediahitmanDecember 1, 2012Updated:December 1, 2012No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    By Oliver Holmes

    Global hacking network Anonymous said it will shut down Syrian government websites around the world in response to a countrywide Internet blackout believed to be aimed at silencing the opposition to President Bashar al-Assad.

    Syria was plunged into communication darkness on Thursday when Internet connectivity stopped at midday. Land lines and mobile phones networks were also seriously disrupted.

    The Syrian government said “terrorists” had attacked Internet lines but the opposition and human rights groups suspect it to be the work of the authorities.

    Opposition activists have used the Internet extensively to further their cause by publishing footage of aerial strikes and graphic images of civilian casualties. In the absence of a free press, they have used social media to disseminate information during the uprising and communicate with journalists abroad.

    Anonymous, a loose affiliation of hacking groups that opposes Internet censorship, said it will remove from the Internet all web assets belonging to Assad’s government that are outside Syria, starting with embassies.

    By 1000 GMT on Friday, the website for Syria’s embassy in Belgium was down but the embassy in China – which Anonymous said it would target first – was operating. Most government ministry websites were down although this could be due to the blackout.

    Several networking experts said that it was highly unlikely that the lines had been sabotaged by anti-Assad forces.

    CloudFlare, a firm that helps accelerate Internet traffic, said on its blog that saboteurs would have had to simultaneously sever three undersea cables into the port city of Tartous and also an overland cable through Turkey in order to cut off the entire country’s Internet access.

    “That is unlikely to have happened,” CloudFlare said. The government has been accused of cutting communications in previous assaults on rebel-held areas. Anonymous said Assad’s government had physically “pulled the plug out of the wall”.

    “As we discovered in Egypt, where the dictator (Hosni) Mubarak did something similar – this is not damage that can be easily or quickly repaired,” it added, referring to an Internet outage during the early days of the 2011 uprising in Egypt. French foreign ministry spokesman Philippe Lalliot said the communications cut was of a matter of “extreme concern”.

    Read More Here

    Anonymous Blackout Declares Govt Hackers Internet Syria War Websies
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    BT to charge people £50 for keeping old wi-fi routers

    January 29, 2020

    Is an AI arms race more dangerous than a nuclear one? Yes, but not like in ‘Terminator’

    January 28, 2020

    ‘No indication of enemy fire’: US forces in Afghanistan confirm loss of recon plane

    January 28, 2020
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.