Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    USAHITMAN Conspiracy News
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    USAHITMAN Conspiracy News
    Home»Science & Space»Earth is safe as the 46-meter asteroid is set for flyby by next week
    Science & Space

    Earth is safe as the 46-meter asteroid is set for flyby by next week

    By mediahitmanFebruary 9, 2013Updated:February 9, 2013No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    da14-2012.n

    Earth will definitely avoid a potential catastrophe as a 46-meter asteroid is to pass the planet from a safe, though remarkably close distance, said scientists from NASA.

    The asteroid was discovered last year by Spanish astronomers and since then sparked fears of a possible cosmic collision that would have released the energy equivalent of 2.4 million tons of TNT and would have had the potential to wipe out 750 square miles if it did impact the Earth.

    But scientists reassured the world on Thursday that there is no real threat.

    “No Earth impact is possible,” said Donald Yeomans, manager of NASA’s Near-Earth Object program at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. “No one has raised a red flag, nor will they,” Yeomans told reporters. “I certainly don’t anticipate any problems whatsoever.”

    The celestial body, referred to as 2012 DA14, is projected to come as close as 27,520 km on February 15 – which is closer to our planet than the TV satellites that fly some 800 km higher. It will pass at a speed of 13 km per second.

    It is the closest encounter with an object of its size since scientists began routinely monitoring asteroids about 15 years ago.

    The last time the Earth was struck by a major cosmic body was in 1908, when an asteroid or comet exploded over Siberia, leveling 80 million trees over 2,150 square km.

    “Although they wouldn’t (cause) a global catastrophe if they impact the Earth, they still do a lot of regional destruction,” said Lindley Johnson, who oversees the Near-Earth Object Observations Program at NASA headquarters in Washington DC.

    The asteroid will be invisible to the naked eye, appearing only as a small point of light even to those observing it by telescope. The prime viewing locations will be in Asia, Australia and Eastern Europe.

    NASA adds that the flyby will provide a unique opportunity for researchers to study a near-Earth object up close.

    About 66 million years ago, a 10 km diameter asteroid smashed into what is now the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico, leading to the demise of the dinosaurs as well as most plant and animal life on the planet.

    Source

    Asteroid Earth Flyby Safe Space Week
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    mediahitman

    Related Posts

    New York State Is Now Mandating “Stargazing Permits” For Looking At The Sky

    January 30, 2020

    Fears mount that two old satellites will SMASH into each other above US this week

    January 29, 2020

    US Space Force logo looks like one from Star Trek

    January 25, 2020
    Leave A Reply

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.