Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    USAHITMAN Conspiracy News
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    USAHITMAN Conspiracy News
    Home»Interesting News»Fukushima»Japan to Restart Nuclear Reactor on July 1st
    Fukushima

    Japan to Restart Nuclear Reactor on July 1st

    By mediahitmanJune 29, 2012Updated:June 29, 2012No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    By LUCY CRAFT

    After taking all 50 of its nuclear reactors offline following a devastating accident last year, Japan is planning to restart the first of two of them in western Fukui prefecture as early as Sunday.

    The catastrophe at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant in March 2011 forced Japan to scale back plans to aggressively expand its nuclear energy sector. But the highly controversial move to restart the two reactors on the other side of the country is a sign that the nuclear power lobby isn’t throwing in the towel yet.

    Enjoying a recent day in the park with her infant daughter, Tokyo resident Yukiko Shimoda seems like the poster mom for a Greenpeace campaign.

    The 34-year-old is still haunted by memories of last year, when she was hoarding mineral water and wondering whether her unborn child would be affected by radiation from the Fukushima plant explosions.

    “Of course I wish we didn’t have nuclear reactors anymore,” she says.

    Nuclear Industry Down, But Not Out

    Japan was once one of the most enthusiastically pro-nuclear nations on earth. But last year’s accident could mean that much of the Fukushima prefecture may never be inhabitable again. Today, study after study shows a surge in anti-nuclear sentiment.

    And yet, Japan’s formidable nuclear industry appears down, but not out. Despite living through the world’s worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl, Shimoda says she’s not ready to say sayonara to nuclear just yet.

    “I would prefer the reactors stayed off. But what choice do we have? The summer will be hot, and we’ll be using lots of air conditioning,” she says. “I would rather not have nuclear energy, but I just don’t see any other way.”

    A poll released this month by the Pew Research Center shows 70 percent of respondents want Japan to wean itself off nuclear energy. That’s close to double the rate last year. But when a Sankei-Fuji news survey asked residents if they would support restarting reactors in an energy shortage, and provided safety was ensured, more than half said yes.

    That sense of anxiety is what Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda was banking on, when he made an unusual and impassioned appeal to the nation recently.

    He declared that the resource-poor country had to restart the two Oi reactors in western Japan on the Sea of Japan. Noda put his prestige on the line even though post-Fukushima safeguards and regulations are still evolving.

    While organized, nonviolent, but noisy anti-nuclear protests continue, observers like Temple University scholar Jeff Kingston say the hasty restart of the Oi reactors marks the triumphant return of what’s known as Japan’s “nuclear village.” That’s the powerful nexus of politicians and protected utilities that drove Japan’s nuclear energy juggernaut for half a century.

    “The nuclear village has never been out of business. They were biding their time, and we’ve seen over the last few months several revelations that indicate that they are still extremely influential,” Kingston says. “So the restart of the Oi reactors, I think, will lead to the restart of many other reactors by year’s end. So yes, this is the beginning and the government really does want to avoid having an entire summer without nuclear energy.”

    Read More Here

    Fukushima Japan Nuclear Power Plant Reactor Start
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    mediahitman

    Related Posts

    Carlos Ghosn escaped with help of rogue employee – jet firm

    January 3, 2020

    Carlos Ghosn: How did the Nissan ex-boss flee from Japan?

    January 1, 2020

    South Carolina nuclear plant insists ‘no danger to public’ after leak forces SHUTDOWN

    November 12, 2019
    Leave A Reply

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.