Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    USAHITMAN Conspiracy News
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    USAHITMAN Conspiracy News
    Home»Science & Space»Cut back on missions to Mars? No way, backers say
    Science & Space

    Cut back on missions to Mars? No way, backers say

    By mediahitmanFebruary 10, 2012Updated:February 12, 20121 Comment3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    By MSNBC News

    Scientists say NASA is about to propose major cuts in its exploration of other planets, especially Mars. But even before the cuts are unveiled, lawmakers are vowing to fight “tooth and nail” to preserve missions to the Red Planet.

    With limited money for science and an over-budget new space telescope, the space agency essentially had to make a choice in where it wanted to explore: the neighboring planet or the far-off cosmos. Based on the advance word about NASA’s budget for the coming year, Mars lost out.

    Two scientists who were briefed on the 2013 NASA budget, due to be released on Monday, said the space agency is eliminating two proposed joint missions with Europeans to explore Mars in 2016 and 2018. NASA had agreed to pay $1.4 billion for those missions. Some Mars missions will continue, but the fate of future flights is unclear, including a much-sought project to bring rocks from the Red Planet back to Earth.

    The two scientists spoke with The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the budget.

    They said the cuts to the Mars missions would be part of a proposed reduction of about $300 million in NASA’s $1.5 billion planetary science budget. The other big part of NASA science spending — the $1.8 billion Earth science budget — is not being cut, the two scientists said.

    The current Mars budget of $581.7 million will be slashed by more than $200 million, they said.

    “To me, it’s totally irrational and unjustified,” said Edward Weiler, who until September was NASA’s associate administrator for science. “We are the only country on this planet that has the demonstrated ability to land on another planet, namely Mars. It is a national prestige issue.”

    Weiler said he quit last year because he was tired of fighting to save Mars from the budget knife. He said he fought successfully to keep major cuts from Mars in the current budget, but has no firsthand knowledge of the 2013 budget proposal.

    Mars “has got public appeal, it’s got scientific blessings from the National Academy,” Weiler told AP in a phone interview from Florida. “Why would you go after it? And it fulfills the president’s space policy to encourage more foreign collaboration.”

    The European Space Agency is already in discussions with the Russians to fill the gap if NASA reneges on its commitment to contribute to the 2016 and 2018 Mars missions, known as the ExoMars program. The 2016 mission would send an orbiter and experimental lander to the Red Planet, with the primary goal of mapping sources of Martian methane. The 2018 mission would send a rover equipped with a drill and other instruments to search for evidence of past or present life on Mars.

    Read More Here

    Budget Mars NASA Space Telescope
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    mediahitman

    Related Posts

    New York State Is Now Mandating “Stargazing Permits” For Looking At The Sky

    January 30, 2020

    Fears mount that two old satellites will SMASH into each other above US this week

    January 29, 2020

    US Space Force logo looks like one from Star Trek

    January 25, 2020
    Leave A Reply

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.