Nine Steps to Take Now to Help You Prepare for Civil Unrest
1. Make sure your basic backup supplies are in order. This includes adequate food, water and sanitation supplies for at least a two week period and preferably a month or even longer.
2. Take stock of your first aid kit to insure that you have sufficient medical supplies, remedies and prescription drugs. For ideas, see the first aid section of this article.
3. Inventory the security features in your home to determine weaknesses that need to be strengthened. See the article A Dozen Home Security and Crime Prevention Tips for the Prepper for tips on securing the homestead.
4. Set up a personal self defense system. If you own a firearm, apply for a concealed weapons permit, stock up on ammo and practice shooting at the range. Invest in pepper sprays, bully clubs, and heavy-duty tactical flashlight that can be used to temporarily blind an assailant.
5. Form a community of like minded people that will drill together and that will band together for protection and safety during times of chaos.
6. Stockpile cash in small bills. In a massive and chaotic riot situation, ATMs and banks are likely to be closed or inoperable.
7. Accumulate goods for barter. When the stores are closed – or the supermarket and hardware store shelves are empty – you may need to call on others for the supplies you need but did not anticipate. Have something to barter. Spirits (including beer, wine and good old Jack Daniels) are always good choices as as are candles, batteries and food items including fresh eggs and home grown garden vegetables
8. Don’t forget about children, the elderly and your pets. In a riot or lock down situation, they may become fearful and panicked. Stow away some amusements and comfort items for them as well.
9. Keep a level head and your mouth shut. If by some chance you are pulled into a police net, the first thing you should do is call a lawyer. Be courteous and polite and do not resist.