By KATIE MOISSE
Saudi Arabian health officials are bracing for the Hajj, the annual pilgrimage to Mecca expected to draw more than 2 million Muslims from around the world.
This year’s pilgrimage, set to begin Oct. 24, will come one month after the discovery of a SARS-like virus linked to the death of a Saudi man earlier this year. Another man, who is from Qatar but had recently traveled to Saudi Arabia, is in critical condition with the same infection.
The Saudi Ministry of Health is “keeping a close eye on all developments” and urging all those who wish to participate in the pilgrimage — the fifth pillar of Islam — to keep their hands clean and wear masks in crowded places, according to its website.
“We pray for Allah to protect our beloved country from all such harms and diseases,” the website says.
The new virus belongs to a family called coronaviruses, which are typically spread by coughs and sneezes. Coronaviruses include the common cold as well as SARS, which swiftly spread from Asia to America and Europe a decade ago, killing nearly 800 of the more than 8,000 people it infected.
“The Hajj brings people from all over world to one small place,” said Dr. William Schaffner, president of the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases and chairman of preventive medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. “People can carry infections with them, and we have to be aware of that.”