US captures suspected Benghazi attack mastermind in secret raid

United States officers reportedly captured a militant accused of orchestrating the September 11, 2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya that left 4 Americans useless.

The Washington Post first reported Tuesday morning that US Special Operation forces captured the person, Ahmed Abu Khattala, after months of coordination with brokers on the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Khattala, who’s labeled by the Post as “one of the suspected ringleaders” of the 2012 occasion that killed US Ambassador Chris Stevens and three others, was reportedly apprehended throughout a secret raid that occurred over the weekend in Libya, however journalists on the paper agreed to postpone publication till Tuesday on account of safety issues.

The operation that led to Khattala’s seize was successful, US officers instructed the Post, and all American personnel have since left the north Africa nation. Khattala is the primary suspect thought answerable for the attack to be apprehended by authorities, albeit practically two months after the attack, and can reportedly be arraigned in Washington, DC. Investigators first confirmed to NBC News final August that Khattala had been charged beneath seal.

Officials have uncared for to supply additional details about Khattala’s standing, however Reuters reported shortly after information broke on Tuesday that the suspect was being held on a US ship, in accordance with one official. In the previous, terrorist suspects have been confined to such services and interrogated off US soil earlier than being dropped at the States.

“The fact that (Khatallah) is now in US custody is a testament to the painstaking efforts of our military, law enforcement and intelligence personnel. Because of their courage and professionalism, this individual will now face the full weight of the American justice system,” the White House stated in a press release later in the day.

According to the Post, one senior official who confirmed information of this weekend’s raid referred to as the occasion “a reminder that when the United States says it’s going to hold someone accountable and he will face justice, this is what we mean.”

“We have made clear to successive Libyan governments our intention to bring to justice the perpetrators of the attack on our facilities in Benghazi,” one official added to the paper. “So it should come as no surprise to the Libyan government that we would take advantage of an opportunity to bring Abu Khatalla to face justice.”

Two CIA contractors and a State Dept. safety official died on account of the Sept. 2012 incident, which occurred at an American consulate constructing in Benghazi on the 11-year anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist assaults.

The US State Department has since January referred to as Khattala a “senior leader” of a Benghazi affiliate of Ansar Al-Sharia, a militant group that has been designated a terrorist group by American officers.

Although Khattala has solely been linked to that group by the State Dept. because the begin of this 12 months, as early on as one month after the Benghazi tragedy he was already being attributed with having an integral position in the attack.

“These reports say that no one knows where I am and that I am hiding,” he instructed Reuters in Oct. 2011.”But here I am in the open, sitting in a hotel with you. I’m even going to pick up my sister’s kids from school soon.”

As RT reported beforehand, Khattala stated throughout that very same time that US politicians have been “playing with the emotions of the American people”and“using the consulate attack just to gather votes for their elections.” Then, Khattala instructed the Times he had no plans to enter hiding regardless of already being accused of a job in the still-fresh attack.

“Mr. Abu Khattala insisted that he had not been part of the aggression at the American compound,” The Times reported then. “He said he had arrived just as the gunfire was beginning to crackle and had sought to break up a traffic jam around the demonstration. After fleeing for a time, he said, he entered the compound at the end of the battle because he was asked to help try to rescue four Libyan guards working for the Americans who were trapped inside.”